Duke’s Chowder House Recipe
Savory Chipotle Wild Alaska Salmon Sandwich
You know when things come together and you think, “They were made for each other.” Peanut butter and jelly, popcorn and butter, Romeo and Juliet. Well, this grouping is more of a threesome–rosemary bread, Wild Alaska Salmon, and our Hold Me Tight Chipotle Aioli. They were simply made for each other. Our rosemary bread is made by The Essential Baking Company and is the best I have ever tasted. It holds up to the chipotle peppers and complements the bold Wild Alaska Salmon flavor.
8 oz Wild Alaska Salmon fillet
large pinch Duke’s Ready Anytime
2 slices Essential Baking Company
1 Tbsp Let’s Be Clarified Butter
½ cup Hold Me Tight Chipotle Aioli
¼ cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
2 tomato slices
¼ avocado, sliced and fanned
20 Sweet Treat Potato Fries
• Fillet Salmon using the deep-skin method, which is to remove the gray matter along with the skin and pluck the pin bones with needle-nose pliers or boning tweezers. If you are buying from your local fishmonger, ask to have the fillet deep-skinned as well.
• Season both sides of the Salmon with Duke’s Ready Anytime Seasoning.
• Grill both sides of the Salmon for 3-4 minutes per side or until fish has lost all its translucency.
• On a flat-top grill or in a sauté pan, grill both slices of the rosemary bread in Let’s Be Clarified Butter.
• Spread each slice of rosemary bread “coast to coast” with ¼ cup Hold Me Tight Chipotle Aioli.
• Add lettuce, avocado, tomato and cooked Salmon.
• Serve with remaining Hold Me Tight Chipotle Aioli for dipping the Sweet Treat Potato Fries or the sandwich itself.
Duke’s Ready Anytime Seasoning gf
Makes approximately 3 cups
This is your go-to spice for French fries or anything broiled. It’s perfect for mixing up in a big batch and storing for use “anytime.” It’s savory and salty with a little heat, and herbs to mellow out the burn.
1 cup Kosher salt
⅓ cup + 2½ Tbsp lemon pepper
¼ cup pepper
¼ cup Creole seasoning
¼ cup granulated garlic
5 tsp dried oregano
5 tsp dried basil
5 tsp dried marjoram
5 tsp dried thyme
5 tsp dried rosemary
¼ cup sugar
- Mix all ingredients well and store in an airtight container.
Let’s Be Clarified Butter gf
Clarified butter is simply butter with the milk solids removed. Chefs like it because of its clean, butter flavor, and it doesn’t burn as easily as regular butter.
- Slowly melt Darigold butter in a heavy-gauge pan. Skim the white foam off the top with a spoon. (Reserve it if you like buttery popcorn; see tip below).
- Boil Darigold butter for about 1 minute. When the milk solids on the bottom of the pan begin to brown, slowly pour through cheesecloth, leaving the brown specks in the bottom of the pan.
- Refrigerate or freeze.
Hold Me Tight Chipotle Aioli gf
Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Smokey and sweet, this delicious aioli is a complement to anything seafood, especially Salmon.
2 cups Make It Yourself Mayo (see below) or buy one made with olive oil
¼ cup honey (local, sustainable and organic)
¼ cup stone-ground mustard
3½ Tbsp chipotle purée (purée a small can of chipotle peppers and keep in an air-tight container in your refrigerator)
• Purée ingredients and store
covered in the refrigerator.
Make It Yourself Mayo gf
Simple to make and better than store-bought, it’s the mother of all sauces and the base for many as well. I don’t think I could live without mayonnaise—it goes with just about everything. True confession, I even eat it with peanut butter.
Makes approximately 1 cup
1 large egg yolk or 1½ Tbsp
pasteurized organic egg yolks
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp white wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
½ cup GMO-free canola oil
• Place the egg yolk in a food processor and beat on high until frothy, about 2 minutes.
• Add lemon juice, white wine vinegar and salt and beat for another minute.
• While the blades are running, very slowly add oils in a very thin stream. If you add too fast, the mayonnaise will not emulsify. Cover and refrigerate.
Tip from Chef “Wild” Bill
Liven up your mayo by adding a garlic clove during the first step to make a garlic mayo. Or add a tablespoon of honey and Dijon mustard to make a honey mustard mayo. Pick some basil or tarragon from your garden to make an herb mayo. The possibilities are endless.