Taken from Duke’s NEW Cookbook, As Wild As It Gets . . . Duke’s Secret Sustainable Seafood Recipes
“Un”Chopped Seafood Salad gf
Serves one as an entrée or two as a starter.
If you like seafood, this is the salad for you. We call it “Un”Chopped because we don’t chop up the ingredients like a traditional Chopped. To make it more confusing, I like to chop up the “Un”Chopped so I am guaranteed a taste of seafood in every bite. This is the ultimate seafood version of a Chopped salad with large Wild Alaska Weathervane Scallops and Wild Mexican Prawns. This salad is a showstopper. Yes, it’s that good.
3 Wild Mexican Prawns (size 21-25 per lb), peeled and deveined
3 Wild Alaska Weathervane Scallops (size 20-30 Scallops per lb)
1/4 cup Why Not Take Olive Me & Herb Marinade
4 romaine lettuce leaf hearts, diced small
½ cup Napa cabbage, sliced into ribbons
¼ cup roasted cashews
¼ cup tomato, diced medium
¼ avocado, diced medium
¼ cup crumbled Feta cheese
¼ cup Duke’s Sinful Citrus Vinaigrette
• Using two parallel skewers, bisect one Scallop, followed by one Prawn, matching the natural curve of the Shrimp so it hugs the top edge of the Scallop below it. Add another Scallop and Prawn in this way until all 6 pieces are flat and nested.
- Marinate in Why Not Take Olive Me & Herb Marinade for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator. (Be patient with the marinade; it takes time to incorporate the yummy flavors.)
- On a hot flat griddle or large sauté pan, cook Scallops and Prawns on their skewer until golden brown.
- In a mixing bowl, place salad greens, cashews, tomatoes, avocado and Feta, and toss with Duke’s Sinful Citrus Vinaigrette. Top with Scallop & Prawn Skewer.
Duke’s Sinful Citrus Vinaigrette gf
Makes enough for 6 entrée size salads
The citrus flavors in this beautifully balanced vinaigrette deliver a taste so delicious you’d swear that it’s bad for you. Lemons are naturally rich in Vitamin D and are packed with flavor, making this dressing the perfect complement to any salad.
1 organic egg
2 Tbsp fresh whole garlic cloves
2 Tbsp fresh organic basil leaves, stems removed
¾ tsp kosher salt
1½ tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 cup + 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Place egg in a food processor and blend for 2 minutes until frothy. While mixing, blend in garlic and basil until smooth. Add salt and pepper. In a thin, constant stream, slowly add olive oil (too fast and the dressing will separate). Add lemon juice and mix just until smooth.
Tip from Chef “Wild Bill:
Extra virgin olive oil does not store well in the refrigerator. It solidifies. If you are making this for refrigerated storage for later use, substitute a blend of equal parts extra virgin olive oil and salad oil.
Why Not Take Olive Me & Herb Marinade gf
Makes enough to marinate 5 Scallop & Prawn Skewers
Your taste buds will be dancing to Frank Sinatra in this delicious ensemble of olive oil, herbs, spices and garlic.
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup Duke’s Superb Herb Blend
1 Tbsp Duke’s Ready Anytime Seasoning
1 Tbsp fresh organic parsley, stems removed, diced small
2 Tbsp fresh garlic, diced small
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Tip from Chef “Wild” Bill:
This marinade adds flavor and a fresh taste to seafood without being overwhelming. Try it with grilled Prawns, grilled fish or even chicken. If broiling, make sure to drain off any excess oil to avoid a flame-up.
Duke’s Superb Herb Blend gf
Makes approximately 1 cup
These herbs make everything taste great.
½ cup fresh organic rosemary, stems removed, diced small
½ cup fresh organic thyme, stems removed, diced small
½ cup fresh organic oregano, stems removed, diced small
• Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
Duke’s Ready Anytime Seasoning gf
Makes approximately 3 cups
This is your go-to spice for French fries or anything broiled. It’s perfect for mixing up in a big batch and storing for use “anytime.” It’s savory and salty with a little heat, and herbs to mellow out the burn.
1 cup Kosher salt
⅓ cup + 2½ Tbsp lemon pepper
¼ cup pepper
¼ cup Creole seasoning
¼ cup granulated garlic
5 tsp dried oregano
5 tsp dried basil
5 tsp dried marjoram
5 tsp dried thyme
5 tsp dried rosemary
¼ cup sugar
- Mix all ingredients well and store in an airtight container.